State Level Seminar on Mizo History
On July 16, 2009 Govt. T.Romana College organized a One-Day State Level Seminar on 'Society, Economy and Political History of the Mizo' at I&PR Auditorium, Aizawl, Mizoram in collaboration with Mizo History Association. The Seminar was fully funded by the University Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi. The Department of History of the College took the initiative in organizing this seminar. The Seminar, inaugurated by Shri Lalsawta, Hon'ble Minister i/c Higher & Technical Education, Mizoram, was attended by historians, academicians, teachers, journalist and students coming from different parts of the State.
The Coordinator of the Seminar was Dr Benjamin Ralte, Lecturer, Department of History and Asst. Coordinator was Mr Malsawmliana, Lecturer, Department of History, Govt. T. Romana College.
The titles of the paper read in the seminar were as follows:
1. 'Origin of Chieftainship in early Mizo society based on tradition and myth' - Dr Sangkima, Principal, Govt. Aizawl West College, Aizawl.
2. 'An attempt to reconstruct the background of Lal sawi in the Mizo History '
- Lalrinnunga Hmar, Research Scholar, Department of History, NEHU
- Dr Vanlalruata Rengsi, Associate Professor, Dept. of History, NEHU, Shillong
3. 'Chiefs in the Lushai Hills district'
- Dr C. Lalthlengliana, Reader, Department of History,
Govt. Aizawl West College, Aizawl
4. 'The early Mizo Trade: With special reference to Tlabung (Demagiri) frontier Bazar'
- Dr J. Zorema, Reader, Department of History,
Govt. J. Buana College, Lunglei
5. Orality to Literacy: Its impact on colonial Mizoram
- Rohmingmawii, Assistant Professor, Department of History,
Pachhunga University College, Aizawl
6. 'Mizoram : Socio-political consequences of the economic changes (1870-1947)'
- Dr Lalngurliana Sailo, Assistant Professor, Department of History, Mizoram University
7. 'Church : The primary agent of change in Mizo society'
- Dr Samuel VL Thlanga, Lecturer
Department of History, Govt. Aizawl West College, Aizawl.
8. 'Historical sketch of Mizo Re-Unification attempts'
- Dr Paul B. Chonzik, Lecturer
Department of History, Govt. Aizawl North College
9. 'Media and Politics : A study of the role of press in Mizoram'
- Lallianchhunga, Assistant Professor
Department of Political Science, Mizoram University
|9:30 - 10:00 A.M.||Registration|
|10:00 - 11:00 A.M.||Inaugural Function|
|Chairman||Dr Benjamin Ralte, Coodinator|
|Welcome Speech||Dr F.Lalhmingsanga, Principal, Govt. T.Romana College|
|Keynote Address||Dr Sangkima, Secretary, Mizo History Association|
|Inaugural Speech||Shri Lalsawta, Hon'ble Minister, H&TE, etc.|
|Vote of Thanks||Mr C.Laldinsanga, Head Deptt. of Sociology|
11:00 - 11:30 A.M. : TEA BREAK
30 A.M. - 1:00 P.M. : FIRST TECHNICAL SESSION
Chairman : Prof. Darchhawna, President, Mizo History Association
Paper Presentation :
- Dr Samuel Vanlalthlanga, Lecturer, Deptt. of History, Govt. Aizawl West College
- Dr C.Lalthlengliana, Reader, Deptt. of History, Govt. Aizawl West College
- Dr Lalngurliana Sailo, Lecturer, Deptt. of History & Ethnography, Mizoram University
1:00 - 1:30 P.M. : LUNCH BREAK
1:30 - 4:00 P.M. : SECOND TECHNICAL SESSION
Chairman : Dr JV Hluna, Vice-President, Mizo History Association
- Mr Paul B.Chonzik, Lecturer, Deptt. of History, Govt. Aizawl North College
- Rev Dr Vanlalchhuanawma, Vice-Principal, Aizawl Theological College, Durtlang
- Dr J.Zorema, Reader, Deptt. of History, Govt. J.Buana College, Lunglei
- Mr Lalrinnunga Hmar, Research Scholar, Deptt. of History, NEHU, Shillong
- Mr Lalthlamuana Ralte, Lecturer, Deptt. of Economics, Pachhunga University College
- Mr C.Lallianchhunga, Lecturer, Deptt. of Political Science, Mizoram University
Vote of Thanks : Mr Malsawmliana, Asst. Coordinator
- Ms Catherine Lalhruaitluangi Chhangte, Department of English, Govt. T.Romana College
- Ms Vanlalchami, Department of English, Govt. T.Romana College